Monday, June 14, 2010

The Scientist

Back in 1998, I was an IIT aspirant (ended up doing a very shady B. Sc.). I was highly interested in intellectual stuff and believed that uncombed hair and thick glasses make people look very intelligent. I only had the desire but made no effort to get anywhere close to becoming an engineer. I chose a college far away from my place that was famous for 10+2 and IIT Integrated coaching. I commuted by State Transport bus, mostly 3, 3H, 3K etc. In those days, anything related to mechanical engineering made me very interested, especially Physics. I never solved a single problem in Physics but as I said, it was just a superficial desire to look 'intelligent'. 

One day while I was returning home in 3H,  I saw a man get into the bus at the entrance of OU campus. He had unkempt hair, eight day old beard and thick glasses. He wore decent clothes. All the criteria of looking scholarly were met and instantly, I thought he was a scientist or some technology geek. Being an extrovert, I wanted to strike a conversation with him. I noticed that he took out his note book and every few seconds, made some notes and counted something on his fingers. 

He wore thick glasses and had eyes were almost popping out. He looked to be atleast 30 years old and had an old tattered 'Genius' branded notebook with him, in which he took notes every now and then. He sat diagonally opposite to me and once his neighboring seat got vacated, I occupied it. I said to him, "HI, I am Deepak.", "Hello," he replied with a smile. "Are you a Scientist?" I asked to which he replied, "Kind of. Yes.". My heart started beating faster. I felt like I have found a treasure of wisdom. Then, I asked him, "Are you from IIT?", "Yes. I am from IIT, Chennai." "WOW" I thought and didn't know what to ask him. But managed to ask him, 

"So, where do you work?" as I took out the Numerical Problems in Physics by I E Irodov book to impress him.
"I'm into fluid mechanics," he replied.
"I work at MIT," he said. 
"Why are you here, in this bus?" I asked.
"I am in Hyderabad for a project. Will get back in three months," he said.

I knew MIT was the IIT of USA. I was totally impressed with him. Then, he looked at the book I had on my lap and started smiling. "This IRODOV is child's play. Silly book. Very easy." I felt annoyed because, at that time, and even till today, I haven't understood anything beyond the first problem which is about a motorboat racing in a stream of water. But I was feeling glad that I have found a Guru in Physics. 

Then, I said, "This is easy? Then you must be a really great scientist" To which, he replied "Not too great...there's lots to achieve..". And then, he began to tell me about a lot of things that he had seen in MIT, in the USA, at IIT when he was here and how they conduct experiments and so on. 90% of the things he told me were incomprehensible.  He mixed Telugu and English  and spoke. One stop before ECIL X Road, he got down handing me over his land line telephone number. I went back home and was still under the impact of a high intensity dose of Physics. The next day I called him, but the number didn't work. I tried multiple times after that but couldn't get through to him. 

A few months later, I created my first E-mail id with rediffmail. It was at a cybercafe in A S Rao Nagar. After spending about 20 minutes online, I looked around to find the same bearded man. I didn't want to miss this opportunity and hence, at one, went to him and said, "Hi, I'm Deepak, remember we met in the bus the other day?" To which, he looked at me keenly and said, "Well, yeah! How are you?" 
 "I'm fine, How are you?" he said.
 "I'm doing good. Thanks." I replied and wanted to speak to him more on IIT preparation although I had lost the zeal by then. 
I found the same notebook on the desk as its pages fluttered. I didn't know why he hurried up so much after seeing me. He quickly closed the book and looked at me. He started sweating for no reason. He called the cybercafe administrator and handed him Twenty rupees and then he left saying, "I have to go to my lab urgently and left." 

Even I shrugged it off and returned to my place. When I saw his desk again, I found that he had forgotten his notebook. I thought I had found the most sacred texts in Physics. I slowly reached out for the book and a card fell off it. Since I was more keen on the book, I turned the first two pages and found the words, No of speed-breakers in Osmania Universiry - one, two, three, four, five, six, etc....that day he was counting the number of speed breakers on OU campus.
What fell from the book was his ID card with photograph. It read, " XXXXXX Babu. B Com (Telugu medium) Dr. BR Ambedkar Open University,". I saw that he had kept the Netscape Navigator window open on the PC. When I opened the window, the address bar displayed, www.desibaba.com.

In two minutes, he returned and started looking for his book. I was so annoyed that I ignored him and what's the point in blaming him for my stupidity? As I continued to ignore him, he looked at me and said, "I forgot my notebook. I am glad I found it. Very important information I just took down from the MIT's website."

I just smiled to see him off. I never saw him again. This was a lesson for me. I never trust looks anymore. Also, this is the first time I am narrating this incident to anyone. 12 years later, I still smile at myself for my nincompoopery. But then, I learned a lesson for life. Looks kill, they kill your wisdom.

- Deepak Karamungikar

9 comments:

Achala said...

As they say, never judge a book by it's cover, whoever tattered it looks :)

shishir said...

desibaba.com...hahahaha.....misdirection indeed.

AK(Anirudh Koppula) said...

appearance is always deceptive... :) hahaha

Aditya said...

ba h aha ha ha :D

Sourabh Biswas said...

Hahaha...never could have imagined this twisted an ending. Having been an IIT aspirant myself I know how fascinated we feel when we meet any of its alumni! :D

Tavish Chadha(sensible-bakwas.com) said...

well written post as usual but sorry bro wont agree with your conclusion... the mistake doesn't lie in the fact that you went by the guys looks, the mistake was that you made an assumption that the guy with uncombed hair and think glasses was less human than anybody else....

anyways as they say an ideal mind is a devil's workshop... i guess at times an over active mind is also the devil's workshop...

well written story... loved the narration... keep them coming...

Cheers!
Tavish

Varun said...

Bahut Mazaa Aaya :D

Unknown said...

number of speed-breakers. hahahaha.....

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha ...

BTW... I know a guy who sometimes sports an unkept hair and looks 'intellectual'. :P

J