Saturday, February 24, 2007

A legend called 'The Angrez'

When I watched this movie for the first time, I forgot about it as soon as I walked out of the theater. After 6 months, when I was at a friend's place and had nothing better to do, I watched it again. After that day, in my opinion, the movie became a legend. I watch it everyday now.

The cutting edge of the movie is the observation. Superb attention to detail. The life in the city of Hyderabad has been depicted with matchless clarity. The way they pass time in cafes, the way they take pride in everything they do, the way some people boast, their high levels of self-respect, they cant take insults and so on. These traits have been magnificently displayed by the characters in the movie Salim Pheku, Ismail Bhai and Jahangir.

The most remarkable thing about this movie is that, you will not get bored of it. I have watched the movie for 100 times and have lost count after that. I still watch at least one scene everyday. What a classic.

The attitude displayed by Salim Pheku is amazing. He is an unemployed around - 30 guy.He wouldn't listen to anyone. Has no penny in his pocket, loves to boast about his achievements in his dreams and thinks he is
English Filmon ka Hero.

I love this guy called Jahangir. A loose mouthed, irresponsible 20 - something guy. I loved his dialogue,
'Kya hua boleto, Mai, Risal, Gabbar, Khaleel, Patel, Mallesh,...............khaali laton se diye, ghap ghip ghap ghip......mere baju mein circle thaireva tha,mai kaisa maarun? '
It took a long time for me to by heart that.

Ismail Bhai, again a fake identity crisis victim. He thinks he is a
Bhot bada aadmi. Has two wives and loves to boast about his personlity.

The movie, all in all provides superb entertainment value along with
faadu laughter riots. I would say, the movie is the best low-budget movie anyone made. Producers in Mumbai, please have a look. You have a lot to learn. I recommend everyone to own the VCD/DVD and place it alongside BENHUR, THE GODFATHER, etc. in your shelf.

I happened to meet Salim Pheku when I had gone for an interview in Banjara Hills. I loved the movie and I am proud to be a Hyderabadi. If you feel the same, please leave your comments.


3 comments:

kamu said...

your so lucky ..
i wanna meet him too!!!
saleem is god! :)

Unknown said...

arey deepak, mujhe bhi foto leneka hai re

Amarendra Reddy Sagila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.